- Freedom in an age of intelligent machinesMonday 16 March 2020 Journalist and film-maker Paul Mason talks about his new book Clear Bright Future – what kind of ethical systems can survive the rise of artificial intelligence and control by algorithms. 6.45 for 7.15pm at the Durning Library. … Continue reading →
- Repowering LondonMonday 17 February 2020 Five blocks on the Vauxhall Gardens Estate have their own clean energy. Agamemnon Otero MBE, co-founder and director of Brixton-based Repowering, will tell us how the charity enables communities to fund, install and manage this and … Continue reading →
- Stop the TraffikMonday 20 January 2020 Happy New Year from the Friends of Durning Library and welcome to our first talk of 2020 Stop the Traffik “People shouldn’t be bought and sold.” With the Stop App anyone can help prevent it. The … Continue reading →
- Hidden Histories Through Cultural ActivitiesMore and more hidden histories are being dealt with through cultural activities. Some aspects of this link are discussed in my discussion Croydon and All That Jazz at: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/feb/12/the-whip-review-rsc-political-drama-swan-theatre-stratford http://historyandsocialaction.blogspot.com/2020/02/croydon-and-all-that-jazz.html “Strike For Freedom: Frederick Douglass in Scotland” This 15-minute film ‘chronicles … Continue reading →
- The Occupation of the American Mind 28 FebruaryOngoing military occupation of Palestinian territory, repeated attacks on blockaded Gaza, and the relentless expansion of illegal Israeli settlements, have all triggered a backlash against Israeli government policies by people around the world, but less so in America. This documentary … Continue reading →
- History events & news at 16 FebruaryTo 11 May. Steve McQueen short films Tate Modern Includes one on Paul Robeson www.thejakartapost.com/life/2020/02/13/oscar-winning-director-mcqueen-returns-to-art-with-tate-show.html Saturday 22 February. 1.45-5pm. Labour Heritage West London History Day Hammersmith Quaker Meeting House, Nigel Playfair Avenue (off King St), W6 9JY John Stirling (Trustee … Continue reading →
- In photos: A late night stroll along Coldharbour Lane from Camberwell to Brixton via Loughborough Junction
- Visit Papa’s Park Cafe in Pulcross Park, Brixton – a splendid community venture that deserves your support!
- Brixton for sale: who are Hondo Enterprises, owners of Brixton Village, Market Row, Club 414 and more?